St. Augustine is a historic city with many historic sites. The city’s history spans over 400 years and includes everything from the Colonial era to the Civil Rights movement.
You can see some of this history first hand when you visit these historic sites in person. It’s a great experience for history lovers and anyone who wants to learn more about the city of St. Augustine.
The majority of these sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and their history is well documented so there’s plenty to learn about.
The following is a list of St. Augustine’s historic sites:
Abbott Tract Historic District:
The Abbott Tract Historic District is a 33-acre historic district that features 124 historic buildings. The district spans 17 blocks and is bounded by Matanzas Bay, Pine, San Marco, and Shenandoah Avenues.
The district is named after Lucy Abbott who moved to St. Augustine in the 1860s and starting purchasing various tracts of land in the city upon which she built nine historic structures that still stand today.
The district has the highest percentage of pre-1930s buildings and the largest concentration of 19th century buildings in St. Augustine. Some of these historic buildings include:
1840 Joyner House
1839 Beach Cottage
1887 Castle Warden
1875 Abbott Mansion
1896 George Dismuskes House
1891 John Dismuskes House
1924 Rodenbaugh House
1906 residence on Water Street.
On July 21, 1983, the district was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Bridge of Lions:
Address: 2010 A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal Byway, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1925, the Bridge of Lions is a historic bridge that features a pair of Carrara marble Medici lion statues.
The 1,545 foot-long bridge spans the Matanzas River to Anastasia Island and was funded by Henry Rodenbaugh, vice president and bridge expert for Henry Flagler’s East Coast Railroad Company, and was designed by J.E. Greiner Company.
The lion statues are modeled after a pair of famous lion statues in Florence, Italy and were a gift from Dr. Andrew Anderson, builder of the Markland House.
On November 19, 1982, the Bridge of Lions was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Cathedral Basilica of St Augustine:
Address: 38 Cathedral Place, St. Augustine, FL
Originally built in 1797, the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is a historic church and the seat of the Catholic Bishop of St. Augustine.
The building’s architecture features elements of Spanish Colonial and Renaissance Revival and includes curving bell gables, clay roof tiles, a Spanish Renaissance-style bell tower and coquina stone walls.
On April 15, 1970, the cathedral was designated a National Historical Landmark and was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Castillo de San Marcos:
Address: 11 South Castillo Drive, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1676, the Castillo de San Marcos is a historic fort built by the Spanish after a British attack in 1668.
The fort was designed by Spanish engineer Ignacio Daza and is a masonry star fort made of coquina. It features four bastions, 30-foot-tall walls, a 40-foot wide moat with a drawbridge, 23 open rooms and a courtyard.
British forces attempted to take the fort numerous times throughout the 18th century but failed to capture it. It was temporarily renamed Fort San Marcos when the British took gained control of Florida in 1763 but was renamed Castillo de San Marcos after the Spanish regained control of Florida in 1784. It was later renamed Fort Marion after the United States acquired Florida from Spain in 1821 but was renamed Castillo de San Marcos again in 1942.
On October 15, 1924, the fort was designated a National Monument. In 1933, the fort was deactivated and turned over to the United States National Park Service.
On October 15, 1966, the fort was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 29 George Street, St. Augustine, FL
The Colonial Quarter is a historic district and living history museum that features historic buildings in four distinct sections:
16th century Spanish First City
17th century Spanish Fortified Town
18th century Spanish Garrison Town
18th century British colony
Each section sections feature historic house museums and replica shops and buildings dating to that specific period.
The Colonial Spanish Quarter opened in 1963 as a living history museum celebrating St. Augustine’s Spanish Colonial history and has since been renamed and expanded to cover four centuries of the city’s history.
Father Miguel O’Rielly House:
Address: 32 Aviles St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1691, the Father Migeul O’Rielly House is a historic house made out of coquina and tabby where Spanish priest Father Miguel O’Rielley lived and taught students in the 1780s.
The house later became home to the Sisters of St. Joseph after they relocated from France to St. Augustine and turned the house into a school where they educated freed slaves in 1866. The Sisters of St. Joseph later turned the house into a historic house museum in 2003.
In 1974, the house was added to the National Register of Historical Places.
Fish Island Site:
Address: Plantation Island Dr S, St. Augustine, FL
Established in 1763, the Fish Island site is one of Florida’s earlier fruit plantations. It was established by Jesse Fish on Fish Island on the Matanzas River after he settled there and built his homestead and orange plantation, called El Vergel, which was one of the first commercial orange groves in Florida.
In 2019, the state of Florida purchased the island to protect it from development and established it as the Fish Island Preserve.
On June 13, 1972, Fish Island was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Fort Matanzas National Monument:
Address: 8635 A1A S, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1740-42, Fort Matanzas is a historic fort constructed by the Spanish on the Matanzas River to protect St. Augustine from British attack.
The fort is a masonry structure made out of coquina and is 50 feet long on each side with a 30-foot-tall observation tower.
On October 15, 1924, Fort Matanzas was designated a United States National Monument. On October 15, 1966, Fort Matanzas was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Fort Moses Historic State Park:
Address: 15 Fort Mose Trail, St. Augustine, FL
The Fort Moses Historic State Park was the original site of the 18th-century fort that was later uncovered in an archeological dig in 1986.
In 1738, the Spanish governor of Florida, Manuel de Montiano ordered the construction of Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose military fort and established it as a free black settlement for the local community of escaped slaves who had fled to the area.
On October 12, 1994, the Fort Moses Historic State Park was added to the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a United States National Landmark.
Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park:
Address: 11 Magnolia Ave, St. Augustine, FL
Established as a tourist attraction in 1868, the Fountain of Youth Park was originally the site of the Timucuan village of Seloy for thousands of years, the site of Pedro Menendez de Aviles settlement in 1565 and the site of the Nombre De Dios Mission in 1587.
The park later became a farm that began receiving a lot of visitors due to the historic freshwater springs on the property which prompted the owner at the time, Henry Williams, to start charging admission to property.
The property was later sold to Dr. Luella Day McConnell in 1904 who began advertising it as the Fountain of Youth attraction and made unsubstantiated claims that Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon visited the site to drink from the springs in 1513.
On June 13, 2016, the park was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Fullerwood Park Residential Historic District:
Address: Fullerwood Avenue, St. Augustine, FL
Fullerwood Park Residential Historic District is a historic district that features 249 historic buildings dating back to the World War I era, the 1920s Florida land boom, and the post-World War II era.
The district spans 13 blocks in the Fullerwood Park Subdivision and is bounded by Hildreth Drive, Macaris Street, San Marco Avenue and Hospital Creek.
On September 24, 2010, Fullerwood Park Residential Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Grace Methodist United Church:
Address: 8 Carrera St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1884, the Grace Methodist United Church is a historic church built by local businessman Henry Flagler.
The church was designed by John M. Carrere and Thomas Hastings, of Carrere and Hastings architecture firm of New York and and constructed by contractors James A. McGuire and Joseph E. McDonald.
The church is a Spanish Renaissance Revival-style building with Moorish elements. It is constructed out of poured concrete, a red Spanish tile roof and stained glass windows designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany of New York.
On November 29, 1979, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 48 King Street, St. Augustine
Built sometime between 1706 and 1713, the Government Building is a historic municipal building where the colonial governors of Florida lived.
The first government house was built on the site in 1598 but was demolished and replaced with the current structure, which is constructed out of coquina.
In 1833, the building was renovated and redesigned by architect Robert Mills and then remodeled again in 1878 by architect William M. Kimball and again in 1937 by architect Mellen Clark Greeley.
Throughout the 19th century, it served a post office and also as a custom house but was transferred to the state of Florida in 1966 for use as a public monument and has since become a historic house museum.
On January 7, 2014, the Government House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 271 Charlotte St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1723, the Gonzalez-Alvarez House is considered the oldest surviving house in St. Augustine. The house was originally occupied by Tomás Gonzalez y Hernandez, an artilleryman at the nearby Castillo de San Marcos, but changed hands many times over the centuries and was remodeled and expanded by each owner.
In 1918, the house was purchased by the St. Augustine Historical Society who turned it into their headquarters and later restored it to its 19th century appearance in 1959 and now run the house as a historic house museum.
On April 15, 1970, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Horace Walker House:
Address: 33 Old Mission Avenue, St. Augustine, FL
Built sometime around 1888, the Horace Walker House is a historic house also known as Castillo Sebastian.
The house is a Moorish Revival-style building designed by architect Franklin W. Smith. It is a two-story, two bedroom house with a front porch that features five Tuscan arches.
On January 30, 1998, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 31 St Francis St, St. Augustine, FL
Built sometime before 1763, the Llambias House is one of the few house in Florida from the First Spanish period.
The building is a two-story house constructed out of coquina limestone and features a dormered hip roof and an overhanging wood-frame balcony on the second floor.
On April 15, 1970, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Lightner Museum / Alcazar Hotel:
Address: 75 King St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1889, the Lightner Museum was once the Alcazar Hotel which was built by local businessman Henry Flager.
The building is a four-story Spanish Renaissance building with elements of Italian Renaissance and Moorish design. It was designed by the Carrere and Hastings architecture firm of New York and is constructed out of poured concrete and coquina walls and features Corinthian and Ionic columns, terra cotta detailing and a red tiled roof.
The hotel closed in the 1930s, due to the economic fallout of the Great Depression, and was later purchased by Otto C. Lightner in 1947 and opened to the public as the Lightner Museum.
On February 24, 1971, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 241 St. George St, St. Augustine, FL
The Lindsley House, also known as the Horruytiner House, is a historic house that dates back to the First Spanish Period when it was owned by its earliest documented owner Don Diego Horruyiner y Pueyo.
The building is a two-story masonry structure constructed out of couqina with a one story ell and other wooden additions. On September 10, 1971, the Lindsley House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Lincolnville Historic District:
The Lincolnville Historic District is an area of St. Augustine that was established by freed slaves after the American Civil War. The district features 548 historic buildings and is bounded by Cedar, Riberia, Cerro and Washington streets and DeSoto Place.
The area was originally named Africa or Little Africa by the freed slaves that settled it but was eventually came to be known as Lincolnville due to a 5-acre orange grove in the neighborhood owned by Abraham Lincoln’s private secretary John Hays.
On November 29, 1991, the Lincolnville Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: Markland Pl, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1891, Markland House is a historic mansion built by New York doctor Andrew Anderson Sr. The house is a Greek Revival-style building constructed out of coquina.
In 1966, the house was purchased by Flagler College who later opened it to the public as a historic house museum.
On December 6, 1978, Markland House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Model Land Company Historic District:
Address: 49 Carrera St, St. Augustine, FL
The Model Land Company Historic District is a historic district that features 238 historic buildings and is bounded by Ponce de Leon Boulevard, King, Cordova, and Orange Streets.
The district spans 20 blocks and was established in 1885 by local businessman Henry Flagler after he purchased a 40-acre tract of land in the area and built a series of houses for his hotel and railroad executives.
On August 2, 1983, the Model Land Company Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Monson Motor Lodge:
Address: 32 Avenida Menendez, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1961, the Monson Motor Lodge is a motel that was the site of historic Civil Rights protest in 1964.
The site was originally home to the Monson House, which was a boarding house built in 1884 and demolished in 1960.
On June 11, 1964, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was arrested on the steps of the Monson Motor Lodge restaurant for attempting a sit-in at the segregated restaurant and spent the night at the St. John’s County Jail.
On June 18, 1964, black and white Civil Rights activists jumped into the motel’s swimming pool in defiance of local segregation ordinances. The manager of the motel, James Brock, responded by pouring muriatic acid in the pool in an attempt to get the protesters to leave.
In March of 2003, the motel was demolished and the Hilton Bayfront Hotel was built in its place. A plaque commemorating the building’s Civil Rights history is located on the front of the hotel.
Address: 480 Wildwood Dr, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1877, the Moultrie Church is a historic church founded by southern Methodists in St. Augustine and was once known as Wildwood Church.
The building is a small, one room Frame Vernacular structure with a front gable tin roof and exteriors walls made of pine board siding. The bell tower features a bell cast by William Blake and Company of Boston in 1881. The church features a cemetery with marked and unmarked graves of soldiers as well as early Florida settlers.
On September 8, 2014, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Nelmar Terrace Historic District:
The Nelmar Terrace Historic District is a historic district in St. Augustine that features 100 historic buildings and is bounded by Hospital Creek, San Marco Ave, San Carlos Ave and Milton and Alfred street.
The district spans nine blocks and was established in 1913. It features historic buildings from the World War I era and World War II era.
On March 28, 2011, The Nelmar Terrace Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
North City Historic District:
Address: 24 Cincinnati Ave, St. Augustine, FL
The North City Historic District is a historic district in St. Augustine that features 185 historic buildings and is bounded by Castillo Dr, Old Mission Ave, N. Ponce de Leon Blvd and San Marco Avenue.
The district spans 24 blocks and is one of the oldest neighborhoods outside the colonial area of St. Augustine and has one of the greatest concentration of 19th century buildings in the city. Its period of significance is from 1879 – 1935.
On October 1, 2009, the North City Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Oldest Wooden School House:
Address: 14 St George St, St. Augustine, FL
Built sometime between 1702-1716, the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse is a historic school house that was once a private home and was later converted into a school house.
The house is constructed out of red cedar and bald cypress wood and is held together by wooden pins and iron spikes. It was originally purchased by Juan Genopoly in 1780 and remained in his family for over a century.
In the 19th century, the Genopoly family began inviting local children to the home to learn English, writing, reading and math. The last class was held at the school in 1864 and in 1931 it opened to the public as a historic house museum.
Old City Gate:
Address: St. George Street, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1808, the Old City Gate in St. Augustine is a historic gate that was once part of a fortified wall that protected the city.
The gate is constructed out of coquina and features two square coquina pillars topped with stone pomegranates and two sentry boxes at the base of the pillars. The gate also includes a reconstructed section of the Cubo Line, which was the section of the fortified wall that the gate was a part of.
In 1966, Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, which includes the city gate, was added to the National Register of Historic Places
Plaza de Constitucion:
Address: 170 St. George Street, St. Augustine, FL
The Plaza de Constitucion is a historic plaza that was established by the Spanish in 1573. The plaza is a small park that features a historic public market and a number of memorials.
The plaza is home to a historic public market, built in 1839, that later became a slave market where slaves were sold.
In 1813, the Constitution Obelisk, a 25-foot-tall obelisk made of coquina was erected at the plaza in honor of the adoption of the Spanish constitution and the newly formed government in Spain.
In 1872, a Confederate Monument was erected at the plaza but it was later removed in 2020 and relocated to the nearby Trout Creek Fish Camp.
In 1920, the Loring Memorial, a memorial dedicated to Confederate General William Loring, was erected at the plaza but was later removed in 2020.
In 1921, a World War I memorial was erected, in 1923 the Ponce de Leon Statue was erected, in 1946 a World War II memorial was erected and in 1975 the Father Camps Statue was erected.
During the St. Augustine Movement, a Civil Rights movement that took place in St. Augustine in 1963 and 1964, the plaza was the site of a Ku Klux Klan rally in 1964 and a Civil Rights protest in 1964.
In 2011, the St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument was erected at the plaza in honor of the Civil Rights activists who participated in the Civil Rights Movement in St. Augustine.
In 1970, the Plaza was designated a National Historic Landmark.
On December 18, 2012, the Constitution Obelisk was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Pena Peck House:
Address: 143 St George St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1750, the Pena Peck House is a historic house originally built for the Royal Spanish Treasurer, Juan Estevan de Peña, and later served as the offices of the British-period governors of Florida, John Moultrie and Patrick Tonyn.
The building is two-story house constructed out of coquina. It was originally only one story but the second floor was added after 1837 by its owner at the time Dr. Seth Peck.
The house was later left to the city of St. Augustine by its last owner, Anna Gardner Burt, and is now operated as a historic house museum by the Woman’s Exchange of St. Augustine.
Address: 154 Cordova Street, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1906, the Record Building is a historic building in St. Augustine that served as a printing plant for St. Augustine’s newspaper The Record for 100 years.
The building is an Italian Renaissance-style commercial building that was designed by architects Fred Henderich and F.A. Hollingsworth and was built by contractors S. Clarke Edminster, and G.W. Hessler, Inc.
On April 26, 2006, the Record Building was added to the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Address: 52 St. George Street, St. Augustine, FL
Built sometime around 1760 or 1761, the Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House is a historic house dating to the First Spanish Period.
The house was originally a small, single room house made out of coquina. In 1761, its owner at the time, Rodriguez, added a large masonry roof to the structure.
The building was later purchased by Sanchez in 1791 and was enlarged to fill up the plot of land it was located on. Sometime between 1813 and 1834, a low second story that had been added to the building was removed and the present wood frame was added.
On April 16, 1971, the Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Sanchez Powder House Site:
Address: Marine St, St. Augustine, FL
The Sanchez Powder House site was the location of a historic powder house used to store 10,000 pounds of gunpowder. Built in 1797-1800, it was a small coquina structure with a red tile roof and masonry fence.
After Florida was acquired by the United States in 1821, the American forces continued to use the powder house until about 1860. The powder house then became neglected and the locals began to dismantle it to use the stone in other projects.
The lot was transferred to the city in 1917 and the federal government later acquired the lot and deeded it to St. John’s County in 1956.
On April 14, 1972, the Sanchez Powder House site was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory:
Address: 88 Riberia St Suite 140, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1909, the Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory is a historic factory building constructed by the Carcaba Company and is considered the oldest surviving industrial building in the city.
The building is a Italianate-style building with Mediterranean Revival elements and was designed by architect Fred A. Henderich.
After the Carcaba Company failed in 1917, the building houses a number of businesses until it was restored in 1985.
On May 6, 1993, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Spanish Military Hospital:
Address: 3 Aviles St, St. Augustine, FL
The Spanish Military Hospital is a replica of a historic military hospital that existed on the site in the 18th century.
It is not known when the hospital was originally built but it was later purchased by a Scottish carpenter during St. Augustine’s British period between 1763 and 1783 and was remodeled into a dwelling.
When the Spanish regained control of Florida in 1784, the building once again served as a military hospital and consisted of three buildings, Hospital West, Hospital East and the apothecary at the William Watson House.
Most of the hospital was destroyed in a series of fires during the 19th century but was rebuilt in 1965 and opened to the public as a medical museum in 1968.
Address: 232 St. George St., St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1869, Stanbury Cottage is a historic cottage in St. Augustine. The cottage is Carpenter Gothic-style house and features diamond-paned windows and a gabled roof. It is one of the oldest examples of Carpenter Gothic-style architecture in Florida.
On October 8, 2008, Stanbury Cottage was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St Augustine Alligator Farm Historic District:
Address: 999 Anastasia Blvd, St. Augustine, FL
Established in 1893, the St. Augustine Alligator Farm is a historic zoo and is considered one of the oldest continuously operated tourist attractions in Florida.
The farm is a 30-acre complex on Anastasia Island and features crocodiles and alligators as well as various other species of animals native to Florida.
On September 10, 1992, the alligator farm was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Historic District.
Spanish Coquina Quarries:
Address: 102 Anastasia Park Blvd., St. Augustine, FL
The Spanish Coquina Quarries are a historic rock quarry located in what is now Anastasia State Park.
The quarry is where the settlers of St. Augustine sourced the building materials for the 36 surviving historic colonial residences in the city, including Castillo de San Marcos.
On February 23, 1972, the Spanish Coquina Quarries were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St Augustine Civic Center:
Address: 10 Castillo Dr, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1935, the St. Augustine Civic Center is a historic visitor center established to assist the influx of tourists coming to the city.
The building is a T-shaped Mission Revival-style building constructed out of coquina and was designed by architect Frederick A. Henderich. It is 13,000 square feet in size and features a reception hall, gift shop and museum.
On April 21, 2005, the St. Augustine Civic Center was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Augustine Public Burying Ground:
Address: South Castillo Dr, St. Augustine, FL
Established during a yellow fever epidemic in 1821, the St. Augustine Public Burying Ground, also known as the Huguenot Cemetery, is a historic Protestant cemetery. The cemetery is a half acre in size and contains 438 graves.
The cemetery was established because the only cemetery in St. Augustine at the time, the Tolomato Cemetery, wouldn’t allow Protestants burials.
When the United States acquired control of Florida in 1821, the new American administration chose an area just outside the city gate to establish a cemetery for Protestants.
The cemetery was later acquired by Rev. Thomas Alexander who then gave it the Presbyterian Church in 1832. Burials were discontinued at the cemetery in 1884.
St Augustine National Cemetery:
Address: 104 Marine St, St. Augustine, FL
Established in 1828, the St. Augustine National Cemetery is a historic cemetery for veterans of the U.S. military. The cemetery is 1.4 acres in size and contains 2,788 graves.
The cemetery began as a post cemetery for the St. Francis Barracks during the Indian Wars but wasn’t officially designated a national cemetery until 1888.
In 1912 and 1913, additional land from the nearby military reservation was added to the cemetery, which nearly doubled its size.
St Augustine Waterworks:
Address: 184 San Marco Avenue
Built in 1898, the St. Augustine Waterworks is a historic public works building.
The building served as a pumping station for the city’s first water utility and remained in service until a new water plant opened in 1927 on West King Street. In 1928, the building was converted into a community center.
The building is a one-story brick building with a steeply pitched hip roof. The interior originally consisted of a boiler room, pump room and office-apartment but in 1928 it was renovated and an auditorium, kindergarten and dressing rooms were added. Around 1970, a meeting room was added to the back of the building.
On February 5, 2014, the St. Augustine Waterworks was added to the National Register of Historic Buildings.
St Augustine Old Jail:
Address: 167 San Marco Ave, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1891, the Old Jail is a historic county jail that was funded by local businessman Henry Flagler. The building is a two-and-a-half-story Romanesque-Revival style building which was designed and built by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company.
The building consisted of two wings, one wing designated for the jail cells and one wing designated for the residential and office area.
The jail closed down in 1953 and the county sold the building to H.L. McDaniel who developed it into the tourist attraction that it is today.
On August 27, 1987, the Old Jail was added to the National Register of Historic Buildings.
St Augustine Lighthouse:
Address: 100 Red Cox Dr, St. Augustine, FL
Built between 1871 and 1874, the St. Augustine Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse on Anastasia Island.
The lighthouse is a 165 feet tall brick conical structure and is the second lighthouse built on this spot. The first lighthouse was a 52 foot tall square brick lighthouse built in 1824 that eventually collapsed into the sea due to beach erosion. The ruins of the first lighthouse are now a submerged archaeological site.
On March 19, 1981, the St. Augustine Lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District:
The St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District is a historic district that features 212 historic buildings.
The district spans 46 blocks and is bounded by Cordova Street, Maria Sanchez Creek, Orange Street and the Castillo de San Marcos property.
The district contains the oldest buildings in the city. Almost 50 percent of the buildings in the district date back to the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
Some of the historic buildings and structures located in this district are:
Castillo de San Marcos
Canova-Prince Murate House
Don Manuel Solana House
Don Pedro Fornells House
Father O’Rielly House
Francisco Marin House
Gaspar Papy House
Garcia Dummett House
Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse
Old City Gate
Public Market Place
Pena Peck House
Spanish Military Hospital
Trinity Episcopal Church
Upham Winter Cottage
In 1970, the St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 14 Cordova St, St. Augustine, FL
Established in 1777, Tolomato Cemetery is a historic Catholic cemetery. The cemetery is one acre in size and contains around 1,100 graves.
The cemetery was once the site of the Christian Indian village of Tolomato, a village of Guale Indian converts to Christianity and the Franciscan friars who converted them.
It was established in 1777 after Father Pedro Camps obtained permission from Governor Patrick Tonyn to establish this cemetery for his parishioners.
The cemetery was closed in 1884 but still received a few burials after this date and the last burial took place in 1892.
Address: 83 King St, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1883, Villa Zorayda is a historic house built as a winter home for Boston millionaire Franklin. W. Smith.
The house is a Moorish Revival-style building inspired by the 12th century Moorish Alhambra Palace in Spain and was designed by Franklin W. Smith himself. It is a two-story building with a three-story tower and is built out of poured concrete with coquina walls.
The building was home to a club, called the Zorayda Club, in the early 20th century before it later became a historic house museum in 1934.
On September 23, 1993, the villa was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Woolworth’s Department Store:
Address: 31 King Street, St. Augustine, FL
In the summer of 1963, the lunch counter at the Woolworth’s Department Store became the site of a Civil Rights protest when local black high school students sat-in at the segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter. The students were arrested, and four of them spent six months in jail and reform school as a result.
Although the store later closed down, the building still exists and is now a Wells Fargo Bank that occasionally hosts exhibits celebrating the historic event in the bank.
Address:93½ King Street, St. Augustine, FL
Built in 1903, the Xavier-Lopez House is a historic house built for Xavier Lopez.
The house is a Queen Anne-style house built by carpenters William Fishwick and K. McKinnon. It is a two-story house with a gable roof, tiered veranda and conical roofed tower.
In 1979, it was moved from its original location on King Street to save it from demolition.
On July 1, 1993, the Xavier-Lopez House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Ximenez-Fatio House Museum:
Address: 20 Aviles St, St. Augustine, FL
Built sometime between 1797 and 1802, the Ximenez-Fatio House is a historic house built for Spanish merchant by Andres Ximenez.
The house is a colonial house dating back to the Second Spanish period and is constructed out of coquina.
Although it was originally a private residence, it later served as a boarding house in the 19th century until it was purchased by National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Florida in 1939 and opened it to the public as a historic house museum in 1940.
On July 25, 1973, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and in 2012 it was designated a Florida Heritage Landmark.
5480 Atlantic View Cottage:
Address: 5480 Atlantic View, St. Augustine, FL
The beach cottage at 5480 Atlantic View was the site of a historic Civil Rights event on May 28, 1964 when segregationists shot at the cottage because they believed that Martin Luther King Jr was staying there while he was in town.
A few days later, on May 30, the segregationists returned and attempted to burn the cottage down. On June 8, they returned again and smashed the windows and furniture and painted racist graffiti on the house.
The beach cottage was the winter home of Dr. Cyril M. Canright, a supporter of the Civil Rights Movement, who lent the house to Dr. King when he visited St. Augustine in 1964 for a Southern Christian Leadership Conference. King had not stayed at the house but several SCLC staffers had visited or stayed there just prior to the attacks.
In 2004, a historic marker was placed in front of the house to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the events.
“National Register Database and Research.” National Register of Historic Places, nps.gov/subjects/nationalregister/database-research.htm
“St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District.” NPS.gov, National Park Service, nps.gov/nr/travel/geo-flor/24.htm
Gardner, Sheldon. “In King’s Footsteps: St. Augustine-area sites are connected to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.” St. Augustine Record, 14 Jan. 2018, staugustine.com/story/news/local/2018/01/15/king-s-footsteps-st-augustine-area-sites-are-connected-dr-martin-luther/16031222007/
“Llambias House.” NPS.gov, National Park Service, nps.gov/nr/travel/american_latino_heritage/llambias_house.html
“5480 Atlantic View ACCORD Freedom Trail.” Historical Marker Database, hmdb.org/m.asp?m=40697
“Fullerwood Park Historic District.” The Historical Marker Database, hmdb.org/m.asp?m=110519
“Fort Matanzas National Monument.” National Park Foundation, nationalparks.org/connect/explore-parks/fort-matanzas-national-monument
Frazier, Francine. “State pays $6.5 Million to purchase, preserve Fish Island.” News 4 Jax, 21 Nov. 2019, news4jax.com/news/local/2019/11/21/state-pays-65m-to-purchase-preserve-fish-island/
“About Fish Island.” Matanzas Riverkeeper, matanzasriverkeeper.org/about_fish_island